- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate Students
- Category: Lower-Intermediate Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
The world cannot live without energy. However, coal, oil, and other forms of fossil fuels are limited. They also cause global warming, which could have terrible consequences on the future of life on Earth. Everyone knows that temperatures have begun to rise and glaciers have begun to melt because of pollution from fossil fuels.
Renewable energy is another, safer option. Renewable energy refers to energy that isn't limited. For example, some day there won't be any more oil or coal, but there will always be sunlight, wind, and ocean tides to generate energy. These are forms of renewable energy, specifically solar power, wind power, and hydropower.
More countries around the world want to limit fossil fuels and develop renewable energy sources. Unfortunately, countries like China and the US continue to heavily use fossil fuels.
Something must be done.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- What do you know about global warming? Please explain.
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- How does the article define fossil fuels?
- How does the article define renewable energy?
Summarization: Summarize the article with a partner. Try to do so with only two or three sentences.
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- How do you protect the environment? Please explain.
- Do you use too much energy? Why do/don't you think so?
- What can be done to limit how much energy people use?