- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate Students
- Category: Lower-Intermediate Mini Lessons
- Written by Chris Cotter
Social media refers to blogs, forums, networks, wikis, and many other online sites and services. The main idea behind social media is that people around the world can easily and instantly share information and ideas through social interaction.
However, some people dislike social media. These opponents believe that the blogs and wikis, emails and text messages, etc. create information overload. In other words, there is too much information to read and understand. There is a constant fight for people's attention.
In the world of today, social media has become an important part of society, mostly because of cheap Internet, cell phones that let users surf the Internet and send emails, and a wide range of other services to share information. Even with the negatives, it's not likely to disappear.
Preview the lesson material:
Warm Up: Discuss the question with your partner for five minutes.
- How do you use the Internet? Please explain.
Comprehension Questions: Answer the questions before/after your read the article.
- Blogs, forums, and wikis are only some types of social media. T / F
- Social media lets people share information anywhere in the world. T / F
- Information overload is a problem only for people who dislike social media. T / F
- According to the article, social media is an important part of people's lives. T / F
Discuss: Discuss these questions with a partner. Remember to support your answers.
- What are the positives of social media? What are the negatives of social media?
- Are you a supporter or an opponent of social media? Please explain.
- Could you live without social media, the Internet, and cell phones? Why/not?