- Parent Category: Lower-Intermediate Skill Builders
- Category: Lower-Intermediate Skill Builders: Speaking
- Written by Chris Cotter
Discuss or debate the questions below. Remember to support your answers!
- Do you have a holiday like Halloween in your country? If yes, what is it?
- Do you think Halloween is better than other holidays, such as Christmas? Why/not?
- Have you ever been to a costume party? If yes, what costume did you wear?
- Have you ever seen a really scary movie for Halloween? Please explain.
- What do you know about Halloween? Talk with a partner.
- What are some symbols of Halloween? Do you know what any of these symbols mean?
- What do you know about the history of Halloween? Please explain.
- Some people think Halloween is dangerous. What do you think?
- Some people think Halloween is a waste of time. What do you think?
- Brainstorm words and ideas associated with "witch." Why did you choose these words?
- Brainstorm words and ideas associated with "ghost." Why did you choose these words?
- Do you think witches are real? Why/not?
- Do you think ghosts are real? Why/not?
- Do you get scared easily? Please explain.
- Have you ever carved a jack-o'-lantern? If yes, what did it look like?
- What does "trick or treat" mean? When do people say it? Why?
- People often give candy, apples, or money to trick-or-treaters. Which would you want to get? Why?
- If you went to a Halloween party this year, what costume would you wear?
- Rate the following costumes, from best to worst. Support your answers:
1) a witch
2) a pirate
3) a zombie
4) a character from a movie
5) a gorilla
- Usually only children go trick-or-treating. What age is too old to dress up in a costume and do this?