- Parent Category: Upper-Intermediate News Lessons
- Category: Science and Technology
- Written by Chris Cotter
Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry has an interesting and unusual hypothesis on the future of the human race. His idea actually sounds more like science fiction instead of science fact. He suggests that in 100,000 years, humankind will have split into two species. In addition, one species will be the haves, and the other the have nots.
Over the coming millennium, we will see some small changes. For example, humankind will grow taller, and 6-7 feet (182-213 centimeters) will likely be the average height. Humans will live roughly 120 years, too. Increased access to resources, cosmetic and genetic therapies, and surgeries will even out the appearance of men and women within each sex. What's more, there won't be different races like today. The races will mix to produce people with a similar, latte-colored hue of skin.
That's the good news. However, our reliance on technology could have negative effects. According to Curry, people will lose social skills and empathy in the face of future technological advancements. Our immune systems won't be as strong as now, because medicines will fight off disease and lower mortality rates. Thus, over time, weak genes will spread and affect our whole species. Curry predicts that this will happen 10,000 years from now.
Further into this dark future, in the year 100,000, the genetically healthy will only breed with one another. This will produce a beautiful and intelligent class of people. The genetically unhealthy will become short and ugly, and will also have substandard intelligence levels. These are the have nots. In other words, humans will turn themselves into rulers and slaves.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Brainstorm: Brainstorm with a partner(s) words and ideas associated with "science fiction" for 2 minutes. Spend another 5 minutes or less discussing the words and ideas together.
Fill in the Blanks: Fill in the blank with the correct word.
- In 100,000 years, humankind will have ( ) into two species.
- Over the coming ( ), we will see some small changes.
- Increased ( ) to resources and surgeries will even out the appearance of men and women.
- There will be ( ) and genetic therapies, too.
- The races will mix to produce people with a similar, latte-colored ( ) of skin.
- However, our ( ) on technology could have negative effects.
- People will lose social skills and ( ) in the face of future technological advancements.
- Curry ( ) that this will happen 10,000 years from now.
- In the year 100,000, the genetically healthy will only ( ) with one another.
- The genetically unhealthy will become short and ugly, and will also have ( ) intelligence levels.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
- What do you think life will be like in the 31st century? Please explain.
- Do you think technology will harm us, as explained in the article? Why/not?
- Are there any flaws with Oliver Curry's theory? Why do you think so?
- What do you think the future of the human race will be? Please explain.
- People say that science fiction unwittingly predicts the future. What does this mean, and do you agree?
Google Search: Type "science fiction" into Google. Look at the websites, and/or read additional articles on this topic. Discuss or write an essay about your findings.