- Parent Category: Upper-Intermediate Skill Builders
- Category: Upper-Intermediate Skill Builders: Speaking
- Written by James Farmer
Discuss or debate the questions below. Remember to support your answers!
- Do you have any unusual habits? Give details.
- Do you have any bad habits? Please explain.
- Do you think bad habits lead to personal and professional problems? Why/not?
- Do you think drinking coffee is a bad habit? Why/not?
- Do you think smoking is a bad habit? Why/not?
- Why does everyone have habits, both good ones and bad ones?
- Why are bad habits so hard to break? Why are good habits so hard to form?
- Situation: You always watch TV on Friday nights. A friend suddenly calls and wants to meet. Would you turn them down because you don't want to change your schedule or would you go out?
- Finish this sentence: It drives me crazy when people...
- Who was the most annoying person you have ever met? Why were they so annoying?
- Look at the following habits. Rate them from most to least annoying. Discuss if you have any of these habits and how often you do them. Do you:
1) chew your nails
2) pick your nose
3) eat with your mouth open
4) arrive late
5) pop your knuckles?
- If you were on the train and the person next to you had an irritating habit, would you say something, move to a different seat, or do nothing? Why?
- Think of some bad habits that children form (such as chewing their nails). How do mothers in your country stop their children from doing these habits? Are they effective?
- Would you break up with a boy/girlfriend (or have you) because of a bad habit?
- Some people walk to work the same way, sit at the same table in the coffee shop, and order the same thing every day. Are you the kind of person who always has a very fixed routine? Why/not?
- Can you think of any good habits? Why are these good?
- Many people have annoying habits. What habits drive you up the wall?
- If you could outlaw one habit, what would it be? What penalty would you give offenders?
- Which would you prefer, a routine life where you had many daily habits or an unpredictable life? Why?
- Spend a few minutes and write down all the bad habits that you have (e.g. going to bed late). Compare your list with your partner's list. Do you share any of the same bad habits? Find out more details. Now write down some good habits and discuss again.